Texas Bourbon News

Texas Born from Texas Corn

Cowboy Bourbon from Garrison Brothers: American Micro Whiskey of the Year

GB-Jim-Murray-Image2

Author’s Note: This blog is dedicated to all the “professional investors” who, in the early 2000s, told me I’d never be able to make my own bourbon in Texas and should just buy it from a large producer like everyone else does. You sons-of-bitches will never know the pride I feel right now.

Yesterday, the 2014 edition of Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible was released. For those who aren’t whiskey aficionados, the Whisky Bible is considered by many to be the definitive encyclopedia of whiskeys. Internationally recognized as probably the leading commentator on all the world’s whiskies, Mr. Murray tastes more than 4,500 bottlings from all over the world and provides unbiased tasting notes on the world’s leading and lesser known whiskies. Not afraid to express his views and loved by many for his uncompromising stance, Jim Murray’s tasting notes are full of fascinating facts, flavors and bottlings.

In the 2014 Edition, Mr. Murray named
Cowboy Bourbon from Garrison Brothers
The American Micro Whiskey of the Year.

Those of you who searched all across Texas to find a bottle of Cowboy Bourbon, and paid a small fortune for it, well, you might want to hold on to those bottles. That bourbon just became quite valuable.

The Cowboy will ride again in 2015 but it’s unlikely future bottlings will ever rival the value of the little 375ml pre-release bottles you now possess.

As always, thank you for your support. God bless.

Kind regards,

dan-garrison-sig

Dan Garrison

Proprietor
Garrison Brothers Distillery

P.S. Mr. Murray’s 2014 Whisky Bible is available for purchase here: The 2014 Whisky Bible.

posted by admin in Blog and have Comments (36)

36 Responses to “Cowboy Bourbon from Garrison Brothers: American Micro Whiskey of the Year”

1. Lisa says:

Way to go. Didn’t find one of those bottles and guess I won’t know but what I do have is awesome.

2. Rik Crews says:

Congrats Dan! Knew it all along how great a Bourbon you were producing. I know it is very satisfying to be rewarded publicly for such an accomplishment! Texans are proud of you and your staff.
    Merry Christmas

3. Ken Whipple says:

Congratulations to all y’all! Your Cowboy Bourbon sits proudly and pristine, next to your Single Barrel, (bottle 14). Bottle 12 is open and savored with only the best company. True artisans are rare, and the ability to never compromise is rarer! Y’all deserve the praise!

4. Troy Taormina says:

Congrats on being recognized for a bourbon I will never be able to find.

5. Dwight Moody says:

That is some kinda spectacular news. Congratulations to the whole team. I wish i could’ve found a bottle, but I’m glad I had a part in bottling Spring 2012.

6. Mike Schaefer says:

Dan, (and team),
    Way to go! No surprise here. Y’all are the real deal and have been for some time. I look forward to volunteering again soon so we can all toast together. Merry Christmas!

7. steve kelley says:

I luv your sippn’ whiskey bourbon I have sipped a lot of bourbon in my day ; but none like Texas bourbon

8. Bo Wingo says:

Congratulations, Guys!
    Now the world will know what us Texans have been bragging about for a while now.

9. jim ezell says:

Dan
    All of us “bottlers” share your pride and will always feel close to the quality and dedication you exude. I am glad my bottles of Cowboy will continue to sit in a place of honor on my Garrison Brothers Shelf? Salud and “It’s still good Dan!”

10. kk Taylor says:

Congratulations!!!! It’s been fun watching you grow and participating in bottling. Cheers to more great years.

11. I would have loved to get a bottle of this whiskey. I tried but to no avail. I just have to enjoy the everyday Hye TX Garrison Bros. bourbon. Neat only, never iced, never mixed. LEB

12. Where can I purchase, zip code 77541

13. John Hubbard says:

So can you buy any of this award winning Cowboy Bourbon? If not how can I be sure not to be left behind next year?

14. Kasey says:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

15. Chuck Foote says:

I read this post just before I went shopping at the HEB Hancock in Austin. After finishing I went by Twin Liqours next door fully expecting to find them sold out. To my surprise they had one bottle left. I am very impressed with the presentation box and the leather bag in which my bottle resides within the box. As a long time drinker of your wonderful Texas Bourbon I feel quite proud to be in possession of one of only 500 bottles of your most remarkable elixir. Thanks for the heads up, Dan.

16. Mary Anne Oller says:

Congratulations on this great award! Kudos to you for not only having a seemingly impossible dream but hanging onto it – and succeeding!!! While I’m not a whiskey drinker I subscribe to your newsletter after reading an article about your company. I have since purchased a bottle for our Texan son who lives in LA as a reminder of his Texas roots. Unfortunately I didn’t purchase this particular bottle but now wish I had! ;) I love reading about your distillery and your success. Keep up the good work!

17. Dan Garrison says:

The COWBOY sold out back in May. Garrison Brothers Texas Straight Bourbon Whiskey is available now at about 90% of Texas liquor stores.

18. Evan Vause says:

I love it when a guy can prove them all wrong. Nice job Mr. Garrison. I look forward to trying the single barrel soon. I knew that with your dedication to excellence, there would be big rewards down the line. Congratulations!

19. Pat Hudson says:

Congratulations! I bought a bottle in anticipation of my retirement from the Army after 29 years. I spent several years in KY and look forward to opening this bottle with several of my Night Stalker Brothers! Great job!

20. Thomas R Householder says:

Congratulations on this award Dan. It comes as no surprise to me. The first time I tasted your bourbon and visited the distillery I knew your bourbon was bound to be a winner. Cherry and I have been waiting for this. See you in February.

21. John Story says:

Brother Dan . . . . Congrats on your accomplishments!!! Not bad for an ole country boy! I’m proud of ya, and happy for your write up in the Whiskey Bible! I’m enjoying my bottle my g/f managed to get bought for me . . . but I need a source in MO! Any ideas?

22. Greg Mason says:

Congrats, Dan. Impressive!

23. Gene Bostwick says:

Dan,
    Congratulations. A fantastic vision eclipsed only by the actual accomplishment. I suppose I should feel guilty for having three, uh make that 2 1/2, bottles of the Cowboy but I just can’t seem to muster up the feeling! Can’t wait ’till 2015. Keep it coming and we’ll see you at the Spring release.

24. Bob Stickney says:

What a proud moment this has to be! My heartiest congratulations go out to all my friends in the Garrison Family and I look forward to capturing many more special moments through the eye of my camera lens. I’m proud to be associated with all of you!

25. Lynn Gower says:

Well, I have 2 bottles of the Cowboy Bourbon, and was going to give one to my Father-n-Law, but not now! I recently moved back to Oregon and knew I would not be able to get any Garrison Whiskey in Oregon, so, I stockpiled it, while I lived in Texas. I have 10 bottles of the “regular” whiskey, 2 of the cowboy, and 2 of the single barrel. (One of those is going to my Father-n-Law.) This is not including the bottles I have given as gifts to people! Thanks for making great whiskey!

26. DeWayne Mangan says:

Congrats Dan & the Garrison gang! You deserve every bit of success you are earning!

27. John Loven says:

Texas Proud!! Congratulations!

28. Sue Parker says:

The first time I had the pleasure of Garrison Brothers was at Albert, Tx with Mike Haley. Been a serious fan ever since. Got two bottles of Cowboy. Drank one, saved the other. Money extremely well spent! Thanks to Garrison Brothers for having the unmitigated gall to produce small batch, fine hand-made whiskey. Y’all rock!!!!!

29. B. K. Macaluso says:

What will be the price in 2014?

30. Harvey says:

I was fortunate to get two bottles if the Cowboy bourbon here in Dallas, Tx. When I took the tour if the distillery, you guys were in the process of bottling it. I was was asking the local liquor stores here in Dallas about the cowboy bourbon on a weekly basis. I’m so excited for you guys, I can’t wait to go visit your place again soon!

31. Hello, I have learned of the success of your distillery through an article in the local newspaper and I congratulate you. I take this opportunity to offer my services to you as a liquid filtration consultant. I have nearly 50 years of experience and work an American filter company that is well known in the filtration of distilled spirits and wines. We can offer you a variety of filters and filter pads for the filtration of your distilled spirits. I have worked with with distillers for many years in the filtration of rums, whiskeys, bourbon and other alcoholic beverages. Please feel free to visit our website: http://www.filterconsultant.com to learn more about the services that we have to offer to you. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you and I wish you continued success in your operation,

Jose Sentmanat

32. kk says:

I just bought 2 bottles yesterday WOW what smooth whiskey Know where 4 more bottles are if anyone interested….peace

33. Tim McEvoy says:

Very nice. I work for Glazers in KC mo. Look forward to this making it to missouri!

34. Ruka says:

Only a business offcie in Traverse City. Kentucky whiskey bottled by Ugly Dog Distillery in southern michigan. They do not make any whiskey and they have no distillery in TC. Causing a lot of confusion in the market place

Place your comment

Please fill your data and comment below.
Name